Friday Night date night and I decided to surprise Colin with Thai food… I had been craving Thai for awhile BUT… since we’re going to be going on a juice cleanse shortly I’ve been trying to simplify the diet and start a pre-cleanse regiment. That means no flour, no sugar (although I did cheat and have a delicious pumpkin chocolate cupcake made by a new vegan friend), no indulgences and trying to keep portions on the smaller side. My diet is really clean but over the holidays I did make a few exceptions and it’s been a few months since my smoothie cleanse. Every day we are inundated with scary chemicals found all around us so it’s important to infuse our bodies with lots of nutrients to support our detoxification organs (more about this another time).
Back to dinner…. It took me 10 mins to assemble and I created a real winner!
Basil Zucchini Almond Pad Thai – delish! Rave reviews on this one.
- 4 small zucchini – spiroolized or Kelp noodles
- 1/3 cup purple cabbage sliced thinly (use a mandolin if you have one)
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup green onions sliced finely
- ¼ cup raw almonds or tamari almonds (crushed)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 TBS tamarind paste
- 1 TBS tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 TBS coconut aminos or tamari
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 2 small slices of jalapeno (to taste)
- Place all sauce ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
- Toss noodles and cabbage in sauce
- sprinkle almonds, onions and basil on top.
Enjoy! I served mine with a side of fresh arugala for a peppery flavour.
Tonight it’s my turn to be surprised… and from the smells wafting from the kitchen I think it’s bound to be a masterpiece.