You know that game when you ask someone if they had one food to pick to have forever if they were stranded on a deserted island? Well pizza has always been my choice.
I just naturally assume that there will be plenty of mangoes and coconuts too! I have finally found a vegan gluten free pizza that will satisfy my cravings without making me sick or guilty! I’m going to give you the recipe here for the crust and a whole bunch of nutrient dense toppings to choose from. As you can see I don’t add any fake vegan cheese… who needs it when your pizza tastes this good. I use a quick pickled cabbage recipe as the final topping to add a pop of colour and a bit of salty crunch (it’s at the bottom of the page). I also like to add a touch of finishing flaked salt and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Please make this tonight!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour or sorghum flour for a milder flavour
- 1 TBS ground chia seed or ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- 1 cup warm water (may need a bit more)
- 2 TBS grape seed oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Stir in 1 cup of warm water you may need to add a bit more the consistency should be a bit runny.
- Use a 12 inch pan (I use stoneware pans from pampered chef)
- Place grape seed oil into pan and into hot oven. Let the oil warm-up for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour your pizza batter into hot oiled pan.
- Place back into hot oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Take out and put on toppings that you want baked and place back in oven for 10 -15 min
Sauce: Pumpkin seed pesto, tomato sauce, olive tapanade
- Baked – Artichoke hearts, sliced asparagus, roasted garlic, pine nuts
Garnish – arugula
- Baked – sliced cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion
Garnish – chiffonade of basil and spinach
- Baked – sun-dried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, mushrooms
Garnish – purple cabbage (massage thinly sliced purple cabbage with a few pinches of salt and let stand for 15 min-3hours), sesame seeds, shredded kale.
- Toppings seen in photo: tomato sauce, roasted garlic, red pepper, asparagus, sliced crimini mushrooms, and topped with purple cabbage, sesame seeds and finishing salt.
Here is a link to the pampered chef stoneware that I use: http://www.pamperedchef.ca/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=645&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=