Chocolate. Sometimes it’s all I need to turn a dull rainy evening into something special. There is some science behind this – for those of you who have taken our classes you won’t be surprised to read that we can reference studies proving that chocolate can be beneficial for our health:
~ Daily intake of dark chocolate significantly increased HDL cholesterol by 6% and decreased polyunsaturated acyl ether phospholipids
~ could also induce an improvement in the metabolism of long chain fatty acid, as noted by a compositional change in plasma fatty acyl carnitines
~ a relationship between regular long-term dietary exposure to a small amount of dark chocolate, gut microbiota, and phenolics was highlighted, providing novel insights into biological processes associated with cocoa bioactives.
In summary: having small amounts of dark chocolate (70% cacao) everyday can benefit your heart, help boost metabolism and aid in your digestion!
My personal favourite is that it contains a chemical called – ANANDAMIDE – which, for those of you yogi’s out there who know that Ananda means bliss in sanskrit, is just one of the chemicals found to induce happiness when eating chocolate!
Now you might be the type of person that is sensitive to chocolate – it is a medicinal food so not everyone’s body will benefit from it. I’m ok having raw chocolate (raw cacao) a couple times a week but any more than that is too much for this body. Try it out and see the amount that is right for you. It’s a fun experiment!
This recipe takes 5 min to prepare and I like to add a dollop of my favourite berry jam on top (made with all whole food ingredients and no cane sugar).
- 2 large ripe avocados or 1 package silken tofu
- 2/3 cup cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (add more to taste)
- 1/4 cup date paste or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 3-4 drops of your favourite essential oil (edible) - mint, orange, rose, lavender (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp your favourite spices (cinnamon, chili, chai tea spice blend)
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If mixture is too thick add in small amounts of your favourite nut or seed milk/ coconut water or water.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour and serve. Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge