It doesn’t take long to make this creamy, salty, spicy savory hummus spread. I eat it with celery and cucumber sticks and Mary’s crackers most of the time but it’s also delicious wrapped up in a collard green with some sprouts. I also use it instead of salad dressing or on top of steamed greens and quinoa. It’s protein, nutrient dense and it’s filling. Perfect for lunches and for traveling. Colin and I bring this along with us on the plane to keep full and entertained while we travel. My tummy is growling just thinking about it! We discovered the Spice Sanctuary company and love their Moroccan Spice blend but you can use any of your favourite spice blends for this – I’ve listed some good ones below.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or white beans
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Moroccan spice (we love the Spice Sanctuary blend) or which ever blend of spices that you like (curry powder, Italian seasoning, and tex mex are all great!)
- 3 TBS lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Place everything in the blender or food processor and puree. Hummus will be smooth and spreadable. Will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days
- You can also make black bean dip with the same recipe just change out the chickpeas for black beans and add in 3 TBS of pickled peppers or 1 TBS of jalapeno and 1/4 cup of cilantro.