There is no better smell to wake up to on a Saturday morning than freshly baked muffins. It reminds me of being a kid and making a big batch on the weekend to eat throughout the next week.
Baking was never my forte, until I was hired by the fire department and was forced to hone my craft. When you first get hired as a probationary firefighter, there are many important duties and responsibilities that are assigned to you during your first year on the job. They include tasks like refilling medical equipment, making sure the truck is always in pristine shape and probably the most important, every morning after a night shift there has to be freshly baked muffins for your crew to enjoy. The last thing you wanted was to burn the muffins and have everyone talking about what a failure your baking skills are… 🙂
This is a gluten-free blueberry muffin recipe that has a subtle sweet cinnamon flavour. I personally use the True Cinnamon from Harmonic Arts as I love the natural sweetness and spicy undertone. Enjoy these muffins, I hope it fills your house with a wonderful smell.
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Redmill)
- 2 cups of organic blueberries
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp of true cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 cup of almond or hazelnut milk
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 flax 'eggs' (2 tbs of ground flax in 6 tbs of water, mix and let rest for 5 min to congeal)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, prepare muffin tins by putting in cupcake liners
- Sift and mix three flours, coconut sugar, chopped dates, baking powder, xantham gum, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, oil and flax 'eggs'
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold in blueberries, mix by hand using a wooden spoon and avoid over-mixing
- Use a spoon to fill the muffin liners 3/4 full leaving some room for them to rise
- Bake muffins for 35-40 min in the preheated oven (check for done-ness by sticking a toothpick into the muffin, it should come out clean)